We are THE friendliest motorhome forum, please register to join in the fun, and have access to all areas.


Introduce yourself

Sign up Latest Topics Donate
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
coppo

Avatar / Picture

Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 2,815
Reply with quote  #1 
Absolute idiots they are, reason they say is that its been their long culture to eat whales.

How pathetically ridiculous, I am flabbergasted this day and age.

How we humans are destroying the earth single handledy, no sense, no brains and no future. 

Sounds a bit like one of Mr Trumps analogies.
0
SANDBAGSID

Avatar / Picture

Senior Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 7,095
Reply with quote  #2 
Totally in agreement with you Paul. They been killing whales
for so called scientific studies even though there is a ban
on killing them, Chinese are just as bad for lifting the ban
on using ivory. They always been a sadistic lot of sods.[frown][mad]

__________________

Alan    Ford transit pvc.

Bracknell forest Berkshire. 

0
coppo

Avatar / Picture

Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 2,815
Reply with quote  #3 
Terrible and I thought the world had moved on Alan, what an idiot I am.
0
Woody

Avatar / Picture

Senior Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 6,022
Reply with quote  #4 
I am also disgusted. It makes one lose faith in mankind!
__________________
Auto Trail Frontier - Mohawk.

 Exmoor.
0
Seannachie

Avatar / Picture

Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 1,437
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppo
Absolute idiots they are, reason they say is that its been their long culture to eat whales.

How pathetically ridiculous, I am flabbergasted this day and age.



Unfortunately it is true that Japan has a long history of hunting whales and eating whale meat, first records going back to the 9th Century AD, and it has always been an important source of protein for them.

Strangely enough, another source of protein the Japanese have historically eaten is tofu - soya bean curd- which they first started eating in the 8th Century AD, long before they started eating whale meat - and soya beans are far more efficient source of high-quality protein, and cheaper to produce, than whale meat (or any other kind of meat) will ever be.

Approx., 1 kg of soya beans produces either 500 Kg of tofu plus 500 Kg of soya bean grits (which can be used for baking, cooking, or animal feed), plus approx 5 litres of whey, which can either be drunk by humans or animals as a healthy drink or used as a natural emulsifier and cleanser (such as a detergent for cleaning), so why does Japan kill whales when they can get greater benefits and cheaper too from eating soya products (even though they import the majority of their soya bean from the USA)?

Doesn't make sense to me, especially given the fact that soya and tofu has been a staple protein source in Japan far longer than whale meat ever has.

But why pick on the Japs?

Why do you eat meat when you can eat soya products in their stead?

A 250 gramme block of commercially made tofu costs about £1.25 in the UK, much cheaper than meat. Make it yourself and it cost about 35 pence, plus you get all those grits and whey for other uses too, so the real cost is about 12p for the tofu itself. 

IMHO, for anyone who really cares about 'the planet' and 'animal husbandry', soya products are the only way to go, so let's have less sanctimonious 'preachings' and more folk switching to soya bean products.

Apologies if this sounds like preaching, but I'm serious about the benefits of eating soya products rather than animal flesh.
0
coppo

Avatar / Picture

Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 2,815
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seannachie


Unfortunately it is true that Japan has a long history of hunting whales and eating whale meat, first records going back to the 9th Century AD, and it has always been an important source of protein for them.

Strangely enough, another source of protein the Japanese have historically eaten is tofu - soya bean curd- which they first started eating in the 8th Century AD, long before they started eating whale meat - and soya beans are far more efficient source of high-quality protein, and cheaper to produce, than whale meat (or any other kind of meat) will ever be.

Approx., 1 kg of soya beans produces either 500 Kg of tofu plus 500 Kg of soya bean grits (which can be used for baking, cooking, or animal feed), plus approx 5 litres of whey, which can either be drunk by humans or animals as a healthy drink or used as a natural emulsifier and cleanser (such as a detergent for cleaning), so why does Japan kill whales when they can get greater benefits and cheaper too from eating soya products (even though they import the majority of their soya bean from the USA)?

Doesn't make sense to me, especially given the fact that soya and tofu has been a staple protein source in Japan far longer than whale meat ever has.

But why pick on the Japs?

Why do you eat meat when you can eat soya products in their stead?

A 250 gramme block of commercially made tofu costs about £1.25 in the UK, much cheaper than meat. Make it yourself and it cost about 35 pence, plus you get all those grits and whey for other uses too, so the real cost is about 12p for the tofu itself. 

IMHO, for anyone who really cares about 'the planet' and 'animal husbandry', soya products are the only way to go, so let's have less sanctimonious 'preachings' and more folk switching to soya bean products.

Apologies if this sounds like preaching, but I'm serious about the benefits of eating soya products rather than animal flesh.



The big difference is that whales are wild, natural animals and the majority of meat eaten is farmed specifically for the purpose, although there is some truth in what you say.
0
Seannachie

Avatar / Picture

Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 1,437
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDBAGSID
Totally in agreement with you Paul. They been killing whales
for so called scientific studies even though there is a ban
on killing them, Chinese are just as bad for lifting the ban
on using ivory. They always been a sadistic lot of sods.[frown][mad]


I dunno 'bout them being sadistic, Al, but in certain ways their 'folklore' history is strange and not based on scientific methods.

In the West, historically the Alchemists - the early 'scientists' - had all sorts of theories about how the natural world worked, and they pursued them, such as the transformation of base metals, i.e. lead, into gold. All you had to do was add certain chemicals to lead and it would turn into, hey-presto, gold. 'Cept it never did - and subsequent real science proved it never could. So, alchemy finally died out in the West.

But not in China.

Despite Communism, many Chinese still believe in what is termed 'sympathetic magic' or anthropomorphismic magic' - an example of the former: I take your hair trimmings after you visit the barber and burn them, then you will also be 'burned up' by some magical means - an example of the latter: rhinos are strong, so if I eat powdered rhino horn I will also become strong.

Yes, I know this should like you're listening to someone from a mental institution,  but if you read any of the historical accounts of alchemy or Chinese belief  - and there are many in any decent bookshop, failing which a good library (the British Museum is the finest in the World), it is sadly true.

So, the Chinese (and other imbecilic mugs still) drink tiger blood 'for strength', or digest rabbit testes 'to make them fertile', and all of this ordure is available in any 'Chinese Traditional Pharmacy' in a town near you (there are two such fraudulent operations in my own town).

They should all be closed down.

Oh, but under EU rules, that would be discriminatory and infringe the rights of all those fraudulent folk.

'Nuff said.
0
Seannachie

Avatar / Picture

Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 1,437
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppo



The big difference is that whales are wild, natural animals and the majority of meat eaten is farmed specifically for the purpose, although there is some truth in what you say.


IMHO, I'm afraid you cannot justify rearing and killing captured animals whilst criticising killing free animals. Killing any animal unnecessarily is equally unjustifiable and wrong.

I wonder if most folk would eat animal products if they had to rear and butcher them for themselves. Somehow I doubt it. 


0
roadrunner

Avatar / Picture

Outstanding in their field
Registered:
Posts: 542
Reply with quote  #9 
Many here did up to about 40 years ago,pigs chickens goat etc,i would think if hungry most would.
__________________
Self build iveco 59-12 iris bus,Co Antrim
0
Woody

Avatar / Picture

Senior Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 6,022
Reply with quote  #10 
I can understand vegetarians objections to killing animals to eat. What I don’t understand in that case is why they wear leather shoes, have leather bags, belts etc? Surely killing an animal to eat is more acceptable than wearing/carrying leather items? I have yet to see a vegetarian only owning purely plastic or other synthetic shoes!

I class myself as an animal lover. I would not see an animal (domestic or otherwise) ill treated in any way. I would not eat veal, and object to seeing poor geece getting stuffed with food to provide a delecacy for humans to eat. I do however eat mutton from sheep raised on our fields......although I don’t know which particular sheep, and I also don’t slaughter it! I do know however that the sheep will have had a good life.

I just wonder what would happen to all breeds, - sheep, cattle, pigs etc, - if they were not bred for food? Beef cattle and most sheep would die out! Milking herds would be needed, as would some sheep for cheese making etc, but not in the numbers the world has now! There would also have to be a huge neutering programme, as animals would reproduce beyond requirements.

I am not using this as an excuse to eat meat....just pointing out the problems involved. - There would have to be a mass slaughter of animals to even go down this route! I still cannot get my mind around the fact that most vegetarians have leather shoes....and some even have sofas etc!

As for the whales, they are very intelligent mammals and are in decline. If we don’t protect them they will be lost to mankind. It is a perverse argument, - stop eating whale flesh to preserve the species, but keep eating sheep and beef to do the same thing, but it is fact!

__________________
Auto Trail Frontier - Mohawk.

 Exmoor.
0
Pudsey Bear

Avatar / Picture

Really should get out more
Registered:
Posts: 12,821
Reply with quote  #11 
Also to consider is how many animals are killed for pet food.
__________________
Kev [comp] 

Warning, might contain an opinion [nono]  

If you're not the lead dog, your view never changes.

Don't force it, use a bigger hammer. Semper ubi, Sub ubi. 

Link to self build pictures

Link to sort of blog on facts


http://tinyurl.com/nzyry9n

2007 Citroen Relay XLWB self build
0
nickoff

Avatar / Picture

Outstanding in their field, Forum Supporter
Registered:
Posts: 1,080
Reply with quote  #12 
----and my pet hate,, no pun intended, how many foxes are ripped apart in this country in the name of sport? What a nasty species the human race can be.

Nick.

__________________
Make mine a pint.

Live Nr. Grantham, Lincs.  MoHo--Compass Avantgarde 400 RL.
0
SANDBAGSID

Avatar / Picture

Senior Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 7,095
Reply with quote  #13 
In my humble opinion the real answer is get rid of the humans and leave the world
to the animals, At least they only kill to survive not just for money power. or just
for the sake of killing.
Ok im of now.

__________________

Alan    Ford transit pvc.

Bracknell forest Berkshire. 

0
kelpie

Avatar / Picture

Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 1,184
Reply with quote  #14 
Disagree with whaling , but on a brighter note , guess who won't be swimming in Japanese waters[strong-no-smiley-emoticon].
Difference between us and animals , we kill for the sake of it , they kill to eat. The hunters should try the other side and be hunted.

John

__________________
Bessacarr E745
Location Renfrewshire.
0
Woody

Avatar / Picture

Senior Executive member
Registered:
Posts: 6,022
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoff
----and my pet hate,, no pun intended, how many foxes are ripped apart in this country in the name of sport? What a nasty species the human race can be.

Nick.


I couldn’t agree more Nick. Down here they also hunt red deer. (Only three packs in the country, and they are all in this area). It is horrendous.

__________________
Auto Trail Frontier - Mohawk.

 Exmoor.
0
nickoff

Avatar / Picture

Outstanding in their field, Forum Supporter
Registered:
Posts: 1,080
Reply with quote  #16 
The Devon area is renown for having some of the most blood thirsty and aggressive hunts in the country. The sooner the bar stewards are put out of business the better. Rant over. ( for now ).

Nick.

__________________
Make mine a pint.

Live Nr. Grantham, Lincs.  MoHo--Compass Avantgarde 400 RL.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Go to top of page         Return to forum home page